If you’re looking for easy low carb dinner recipes, these chicken parmesan stuffed zucchini boats are a slam dunk. Even my kids love this recipe. They are also incredibly easy to make with just 5 simple ingredients.
Ground chicken makes this recipe completely hassle free. Simple cook and chop it up, and then mix in a few cups of tomato sauce and lots of cheese for the delicious filling.
Cut your zucchinis in half, and then use a melon baller or spoon to dig out the guts. You can finely dice it and throw it into your stuffing, or save it for later to make zucchini fritters or to add to all kinds of dinner recipes.
Once you’ve got your boats made, line them up in a large, greased baking dish.
Generously stuff them with your chicken mixture, and then top with lots of mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
Bake for about 25 minutes, and then say HELLO to the most delicious low carb dinner on the planet!
These zucchini boats really are a family favorite, even to those that aren’t trying watch their carbs! That toasty parmesan on top is irresistible. You could also serve them with garlic bread on the side for the kids and hubby to add a little more substance for big appetites.
This easy low carb dinner recipe is not only healthy, it's made with just 5 simple ingredients and is excellent for the entire family! The ground chicken makes them quick and easy to make with out a lot of mess or pre-baking. You don't have to be on a low carb diet to fall in love with these delicous zucchini boats.
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 3 large zucchinis (or 4 small)
- 2 cups marinara or tomato sauce
- 3 cups freshly shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup shredded parmesan
- salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and chop the ground chicken until no longer pink. Season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Mix in about 2 cups of tomato sauce with the chicken and turn the heat to low so it can simmer and absorb the sauce for a bit (you don't want it to be too runny, so if you're using a thin sauce you may need to use a little less).
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
While the chicken and sauce are simmering, de-stem and cut your zucchinis in half length wise. Use a spoon or melon baller to carve out the guts and place them in your dish. *See tip in notes for what to do with the guts.
Mix in 2 cups of shredded mozzarella and 1/2 cup of your parmesan to the chicken and sauce mixture and stir until melted.
Spoon the mixture onto your zucchini boats, and then sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and parmesan over top.
Bake uncovered in the center rack for 25 minutes, and then switch your oven to broil for a few minutes to brown the cheese.
- *I like to chop up the gutted zucchini and save it for zucchini fritters, to add to an egg scramble the next morning, toss with a salad, or to add to dinner the next night. You can also throw some of it in with your chicken and sauce mixture if you'd like, but I prefer to leave it out.
- I usually end up with a little extra chicken mixture that I eat for lunch the next day.
- I use Rao's Marinara, tomato sauce and pizza sauce for most recipes because it's lower in carbs than most. You can find it in most grocery stores.
Don’t forget to pin and save for later! 🙂