Mini omelets made into easy-to-eat finger food! These are perfect for feeding a crowd.
If you’re looking for breakfast ideas to feed a large family on busy holiday mornings, these mini omelets are fun and simple to make, and you can customize them to your liking with any breakfast meat such as sausage, ham or bacon. I also like to squeeze in as many veggies as possible to make them at least somewhat healthy.
These egg muffins are unique in that they have an easy-to-make potato crust thanks to frozen tater tots. You simply smash the tots into a muffin pan and bake for about 10 minutes to get them crispy, and then top with your favorite omelet ingredients and pour scrambled eggs over top. Finish them off with some shredded cheese, bake, and you’re done!
1. Thaw 36 tater tots in your microwave, and then place them into a generously greased muffin pan, dividing each cup with 3 tots.
2. Smash them with the bottom of a small cup, and then place them in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes; remove from the oven and lower the heat to 350 degrees.
2. Fill each cup up with the meat and veggies of your choice. I used sliced breakfast sausage and diced bell peppers this time, but you could also choose bacon, ham, onion, spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, zucchini, etc.
3. Scramble 10 eggs with a 1/4 cup milk and the seasoning of your choice; pour the scrambled egg mixture evenly into each cup.
4. Top each one with a pinch full of shredded cheese such as colby jack or cheddar.
5. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until the egg is cooked through. Once they rise and the cheese starts to brown, they should be done.
I'm always looking for breakfast ideas to feed my hangry family, and these easy egg muffins are perfect for feeding a crowd. They are completely customizable in that you can fill them with your favorite omelet ingredients. You're basically taking a hearty breakfast and turning it into finger food!
- 36 tater tots (for a standard muffin pan)
- 10 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- shredded cheese
- seasoning to taste
- meat & veggies of choice (I used breakfast sausage and diced bell pepper)
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and generously grease a standard size muffin pan.
Place the tater tots in the microwave for a few minutes or until they are soft enough to smash, then place 3 in each muffin cup.
Smash them with the bottom of a small cup, and then place them in the oven for 10 minutes.
Remove the tots from the oven and lower the temperature to 350 degrees.
Evenly distribute your meat and veggies into each cup. I used about 6 frozen sausage links that I microwaved and diced ahead of time, as well as pre-diced bell pepper that I found in the produce section at my local grocery store.
Scramble the eggs, milk and seasoning together and then pour the mixture evenly into each cup. I was able to fill each cup up about 90% with 10 eggs. I wouldn't make them any fuller than that as they do expand in the oven.
Sprinkle the top with shredded cheese and bake for 20 minutes, or until the egg is cooked through.
You could customize each cup with different toppings! This is great if you have dietary restrictions or picky eaters in the family. For instance, you can make some of them vegetarian, some loaded with meat, some without cheese, some spicy with jalapeño, or some without the potato for those following a low carb diet.
Don’t forget to pin and save these easy egg muffins for later! 🙂