This one-pan oven baked chicken breast recipe is quick, easy and made with simple ingredients!
An ultra cheesy fajita baked chicken recipe made with just chicken breasts, cream cheese, salsa, fajita seasoning, shredded cheese and bell peppers– how can you go wrong!? Layer everything together in a baking dish, bake for about 30 minutes and you’re done.
This simple low carb dinner idea is very versatile in that you can serve it over Spanish rice, cauliflower rice, in a tortilla or even on top of a salad making it perfect for the entire family. It’s keto-friendly and rather healthy, too!
If you’re looking for simple and healthy dinner ideas for the family, this quick and easy chicken recipe is a breeze to throw together in just one pan!
Quick & Easy Cheesy Fajita Baked Chicken
Start off by mixing 8 ounces of softened cream cheese with 1/3 cup salsa and half a packet of fajita mix. Spread it over your chicken in a large baking dish, and then layer on your bell peppers and shredded cheese. Bake for 25-35 minutes in a 375 degree oven. Done!
The baking time for this chicken dish depends greatly on the thickness and size of your chicken breasts. I used about 2 pounds of very thinly sliced chicken and it took about 25 minutes to fully cook the chicken. I also turned the broiler on for a few minutes towards the end to brown the cheese a bit.
I served this fajita baked chicken over Spanish rice for the family, but you can keep it low carb with cauliflower rice or by simply eating it alone. To make it even lower carb, I recommend making your own fajita seasoning without the added sugar (Basically just chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and cumin).
This one pan dinner recipe is super simple to make with just chicken breasts, cream cheese, salsa, fajita seasoning, bell peppers and shredded cheese. Layer everything into a baking dish, and that's it! It's healthy, low carb, budget-friendly and family pleasing.
- 4-5 thinly sliced chicken breasts (about 2lbs)
- 8oz softened cream cheese
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1/2 (1oz) packet of fajita seasoning
- 2 large bell peppers (sliced)
- 1-2 cups shredded cheese (Mexican blend or cheddar)
*Read notes below before getting started.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
Place the chicken onto the bottom of the pan.
In a medium size bowl, mix together the cream cheese, salsa and fajita seasoing.
Spread the mixture evenly over the chicken and then top with your sliced bell peppers and shredded cheese.
Bake uncovered in the center rack for 20-35 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked. To brown the cheese, turn the broiler on for the last few minutes of baking.
Serve alone or with Spanish rice, cauliflower rice or in a tortilla.
- To make the chicken easier to serve (especially if you're serving with tortillas), you can cut the chicken up into bite size strips before baking if you'd like. Keep in mind, this will decrease your bake time.
- The store-bought fajita seasoning packets are usually made with added sugar. Although still rather low carb, if you're really watching your carbs I'd recommend making your own fajita seasoning with chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin or whatever you have on hand.
- Sliced onions with the peppers would also be a nice addition to this meal. I always leave them out because my family doesn't care for them.
- You can use any shredded cheese that you'd like! Pepper jack, cheddar, monterey jack or a Mexican cheese blend.
Don’t forget to pin and save for later! 🙂